Thursday, August 9, 2007

Day 2 - Trying To Remember My Spanish

So I finally got some rest. Ten hours in fact. I woke up to Debra poking me yelling something about the maid coming to clean the room up and we had to leave. We packed and took off to find some food. We decided to eat at a little cafe down the street from Debra's place. I had an espresso and a hot turkey sandwhich on pita bread. It began raining while we were eating so we decided to hurry up before it began to rain harder. It wasn't super hot but it was very humid. Debra and I had our bags with us as we walked through the city to the metro. Her bag weighs a ton. Like 70 pounds. That was a huge pain to carry up and down the stairs. We had to do a lot of legwork to get to the hostel. With Debra's stupid 70 pound suitcase.

When we finally got to the right place the humidty and heat had hit full strength and my shirt was completely soaked. We checked in and changed clothing and looked around the hostel. It was old and small but cozy. Free internet on a couple computers they had hooked up. Cheap washing machine and drier. Free TV with a bunch of DVDs to watch. Debra and I had a three person room so we met our roommate. She was from Brazil traveling all over Europe visiting different friends. After getting our stuff organized we headed out into Barcelona.

First thing we did was find a place to buy something to drink. We checked a bunch of different places for water and a Coke but everyone wanted at least 2 euros for a water or a coke so we went to McDonalds for cheaper beverages. I miss ice in my soda. McDonalds sucks in the US but it's even worse abroad. Way overcrowded and smelly with gross looking food. Once we finished up rehydrating we decided to head to La Rambla to see what the hype was.

La Rambla apparently is just a crowded street with a bunch of tourist shops in the middle and a bunch of expensive restaurants on the side. There were also a bunch of stands with caged animals inside on the middle part of the street. We saw all types of birds including chickens and pigeons in cages, hamsters, ferrets, turtles, mice, and prarie dogs. A bunch of people were also dressed as statues and would scare little kids who put money in their can. Overall I wasn't impressed at all with the place but oh well. Now I can say I've been there. At the far end of the place they had a giant outdoor market selling different fruits and meats that we stopped at called La Boqueria. Debra and I got some yellow watermelon just because it was yellow and it was watermelon and then headed out to Park Guell.

Park Guell was really neat. They had a lot of wide open spaces and sculptures and stuff to look at. We got some great views of the city and of the ocean and ran around the caves they have there. The place was enormous and way too big to see all of it in the time we were there. It started to rain on us again so we decided to head back before we got stuck in a downpour and we were both pretty tired anyway. We kept seeing different places for Tapas so we decided to hit up a Tapas bar on the way back to the hostel.

The concept of Tapas is pretty cool. A bunch of appetizers as a meal was a strange way to eat dinner but that was cool with me. I got a bunch of different chicken based ones while Debra was more adventurous; ordering french fries with mayo, veal meatballs, and other strange items. After dinner we headed back to the hostel to relax for a little bit before we went back out to get some dessert. When we did go back out we went to this little place by Debra's school for ice cream, churros, and soda. The ice cream cones they have here are really good. I dont remember the exact name, something like Cornnet or something. Anyway it was really good for packaged ice cream. Then back to the hostel.

When we got back there were a bunch of people hanging out in the living room playing cards, watching TV, and listening to someones iPod on a set of speakers. There were a bunch of Brits and Aussies hanging out drinking beers and listening to Blink 182. Debra and I talked with them for awhile and one guy said he used to work out in Carlsbad for a summer and was glad to meet some more people from SD/LA. It was getting late and Debra and I both had to wake up at 6 AM the next day to catch a flight to Paris so we headed to bed. While we were trying to sleep the rest of the hostelers were yelling outside the door about how much fun they were going to have while clubbing tonight and this and that and didn't shut up for at least two hours. I got about two hours of sleep that night.


Gaia said...

fries with mayo? kudos to debra! :)

August 9, 2007 12:42 PM  
Anonymous said...

I'm to lazy to create a username and password for google so im listing this under anonymous. But really its mitchell, or as the ladies know me, "Hey you! behind the bushes!". Just wanted to stop by and say hi. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun, but dont forget that all your friends miss. But dont let that get you down. You've made a lot of people sad and the only way to make it up to us is to take lots o' pics of beautiful girls. The less clothing the better. But im sure we'll settle for whatever. Take care Ian. Love ya man. And If you are still running with Debra tell her I said , "Sup."

August 17, 2007 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home